The design field is a mixed bag of people having had formal education in design school and others who learn design on the job and become designers as a matter of course.
Once someone is a designer, how do they improve their trade? Do they improve their trade or are there a bunch of laurels they can just lie around on all day and be inspired?
Then there's the question of applying the education you acquire. How the hell do you do that? That's insane.
Josh and Ross discuss the idea of continuing education for designers and what balance of formal and informal practice needs to take place.
- AGDA is the local organisation for graphic designers
- AG Ideas puts on a number of events for designers at all stages
- Design Writing Research is a book by Ellen Lupton
- The ABC's of Bauhaus is another book by Ellen Lupton
- Embiggen Books has a great selection of design books in Melbourne
- Josh won't stop talking about Incognito: The Secret Lives of the Brain by David Eagleman
- And Ross really loves 100 Things Every Designer Needs to Know About People by Susan Weinschenk